Ardeche Gorges are a nature reserve managed by a Management Union which defines rules on movement and behavior within the boundaries of the reserve. Camping is restricted and can only be done in designated areas.
Night in the Natural Reserve
If you choose to make a descent in 2 days in the Natural Reserve of Ardèche Gorges, it is obligatory to spend the night on one of the two authorized bivouac areas:
- The bivouac of Gaud: located in the third of the course. 250 persons.
- The camp Gournier: located halfway. 250 persons.
Bivouac area fittings
- Reception: guards Nature Reserve and seasonal staff.
- Sanitary toilets, showers, drinking water.
- Marabouts (= army tents with a capacity 20 places each). These military tents have no bed, no mattress, just a ground floor…
- Tables, barbecues (charcoal provided).
- Help station.
- Warning: alcohol is prohibited on the bivouac areas.
The capacity of each camp is limited to 250 people per night (capacity increased to 500 people for 14 nights per year).
Therefore, it is necessary to book early in order to obtain bivouac tickets.
Nights called “Red”: increased rates.
Your bivouac tickets
Reservations must be made by the participants or a group member.
You must book your bivouac tickets directly from the
Syndicat de Gestion des Gorges de l’Ardèche (SGGA).
Rond Point des Gorges – 07150 Vallon Pont d’Arc
Phone: +33 (0)4 75 88 00 41 – Fax : +33(0)4 75 37 60 71
You are immediately informed of availability.
Subject to availability – inquire before.
Check payable to SGGA – Trésor Public – 232
Withdrawal of the tickets
Tickets can then be withdraw just before boarding at Vallon Pont d’Arc (200 meters from our home) or in St Martin d’Ardèche.
Alternative to bivouacs
If the bivouacs are complete, you can spend the night at Camping Mazet (8 people).
Their shuttle gets around 18h-high 18:30 Gournier (2nd bivouac area – 20-40 min climb up the road) and returns the next morning between 8.30 and 10am.
In this case, your personal belongings are transported in the vehicle and you would have to carry the waterproof container, paddles and lifejackets for the ascent of Gournier.
Price: € 8 / adult, € 5 / child.
Contact them for information and reservations:
- Phone: +33 (0)6 89 34 28 87
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The disadvantage of this solution is that the ascent Gournier is quite challenging.